ESG Data Center
|Topic: Revenues ($ billion)||FY2018: $40.1||FY2019: $42.4||FY2020: $43.2|
|Topic: Net Income ($ billion)||FY2018:$3.0||FY2019:$2.0||FY2020:$2.1|
|Topic: Total Assets ($ billion)||FY2018:$29.1||FY2019:$33.1||FY2020:$34.5|
|Topic: Research and Development Spending ($ million)||FY2018:$114||FY2019:$97||FY2020:$98|
|Topic: Beef (approx. avg. head per week) avg. capacity utilization 77%||FY2018:133,000||FY2019:155,000||FY2020:155,000|
|Topic: Pork (approx. avg. head per week) avg. capacity utilization 90%||FY2018:408,000||FY2019:461,000||FY2020:461,000|
|Topic: Chicken (approx. avg. head per week) avg. capacity utilization 84%||FY2018:37,000,000||FY2019:45,000,000||FY2020:45,000,000|
|Topic: Prepared foods (approx. avg. pounds per week) avg. capacity utilization 81%||FY2018:66,000,000||FY2019:76,000,000||FY2020:74,000,000|
|Topic: Total Farmers||FY2018:9,248||FY2019:9,247||FY2020:>16,827|
|Topic: Chicken Framers||FY2018:3,564||FY2019:3,925||FY2020:3,890|
|Topic: Cattle Farmers||FY2018:3,775||FY2019:3,607||FY2020:3,358|
|Topic: Hog Farmers||FY2018:1,811||FY2019:1,617||FY2020:1,483|
|Topic: Turkey Farmers||FY2018:98||FY2019:98||FY2020:96|
|Topic: Tyson Local Grain Services Grain Suppliers||FY2018:NA||FY2019:NA||FY2020:>8,000|
|FOOD SAFETY & QUALITY ASSURANCE (FSQA)1|
|Topic: Certified Labs2||FY2018:16||FY2019:16||FY2020:16|
|Topic: Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) Certified Plants||FY2018:106||FY2019:113||FY2020:114|
|Topic: Safe Quality Food (SQF) Certified Plants||FY2018:25||FY2019:35||FY2020:33|
|Topic: British Retail Consortium (BRC) Certified Plants||FY2018:79||FY2019:78||FY2020:81|
|Topic: Product Recalls||
2 (Popcorn Chicken, Chicken Patties)
5 (Panko Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Strips (Expansion), Foodservice Chicken Fritters, Chicken Patties, Beef Patties
1 (Beef Patties)
|Topic: TOTAL THIRD-PARTY FARMCHECK® PROGRAM AUDITS||FY2018:538||FY2019:509||FY2020:473|
|KEY WELFARE INDICATORS1|
|Topic: Transport Liveability||FY2018:99.83%||FY2019:99.9%||FY2020:99.9%|
|Topic: Non-Damaged Wings||FY2018:98.88%||FY2019:98.8%||FY2020:98.9%|
|Topic: Acceptable Paw Scores||FY2018:78%2||FY2019:81.0%||FY2020:82.8%|
|Cattle & Hogs|
|Topic: No Falls||FY2018:99.15%||FY2019:99.9%||FY2020:99.9%|
|Topic: Not Prodded||FY2018:99.15%||FY2019:99.9%||FY2020:99.9%|
|Topic: Acceptable Wait Time||FY2018:94.02%||FY2019:96.8%||FY2020:97.4%|
|Topic: Notices of Violation (NOV)||FY2018:76||FY2019:48||FY2020:31|
|Topic: Penalties Per Fiscal Year||FY2018:$2,064,503||FY2019:$36,323||FY2020:$95,912|
|Topic: Total Reportable Chemical Spills (e.g., chemicals, fats, oils, fuels)||FY2018:432||FY2019:38||FY2020:26|
|Topic: Water Use Intensity at Production Facilities (gallons used to produce a pound of finished product)||FY2018:1.00||FY2019:0.96||FY2020:0.95|
|Topic: Water Withdrawal* (billion gallons)||FY2018:30.91||FY2019:30.79||FY2020:30.82|
|Water withdrawal by source|
|Topic: Municipal Water||FY2018:80%||FY2019:79%||FY2020:86%|
|Topic: Well Water||FY2018:20%||FY2019:21%||FY2020:14%|
|Water Discharge by Destination|
|Fresh Surface Water||FY2018:45%||FY2019:45%||FY2020:46%|
|Publicly Owned Treatement Facility||FY2018:44%||FY2019:44%||FY2020:42%|
|ENERGY AND EMISSIONS1|
|Topic: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Intensity (metric tons CO2e to produce 1,000 pounds of finished product)||FY2018:0.20||FY2019:0.21||FY2020:0.19|
|Topic: Scope 1 GHG Emissions (Million Metric Tonnes CO2e)||FY2018:3.51||FY2019:4.44||FY2020:3.83|
|Topic: Scope 2 GHG Emissions (Million Metric Tonnes CO2e)||FY2018:2.76||FY2019:2.25||FY2020:2.34|
|Topic: Energy Use Intensity (Btu used to produce a pound of finished product)||FY2018:1,877||FY2019:1,840||FY2020:1,832|
|Topic: Total Energy Use (Million mmBtu)||FY2018:56.80||FY2019:59.10||FY2020:58.70|
|Topic: Non-renewable Fuel (Million mmBtu)||FY2018:39.90||FY2019:42.33||FY2020:41.52|
|Topic: Electricity (Million mmBtu)||FY2018:15.66||FY2019:15.65||FY2020:16.25|
|Topic: Renewable Fuel (Million mmBtu)||FY2018:1.25||FY2019:1.09||FY2020:0.97|
|Topic: Waste Generated (million pounds)||FY2018:4,315||FY2019:2,423||FY2020:6,482|
|Topic: Waste to Landfill (million pounds)||FY2018:816||FY2019:366||FY2020:1,283|
|Topic: Waste Diverted from Landfill (million pounds)||FY2018:3,500||FY2019:2,057||FY2020:5,199|
|Topic: Recycle & Beneficial Reuse3 Rate||FY2018:81%||FY2019:85%||FY2020:80%|
|Topic: Landfill Waste Intensity (pounds landfilled to produce 100 pounds of finished product)||FY2018:2.64||FY2019:1.14||FY2020:3.95|
|Topic: Outside U.S.||FY2018:5,000||FY2019:19,000||FY2020:19,000|
|Team Members by Gender1|
|Team Members by Category1|
|Full-Time Team Members||FY2018:99%||FY2019:99%||FY2020:99%|
|Part-Time Team Members||FY2018:1%||FY2019:1%||FY2020:1%|
|Salaried Team Members||FY2018:11%||FY2019:11%||FY2020:11%|
|Hourly Team Members||FY2018:89%||FY2019:89%||FY2020:87%|
|COMPENSATION & BENEFITS|
|Topic: Average Hourly Pay for U.S. Team Members||FY2018:$14.96||FY2019:$15.77||FY2020:$16.24|
|HEALTH AND SAFETY1|
|Topic: Total Recordable Incident Rate: Number of work-related injuries and illnesses per 100 team members.||FY2018:3.94||FY2019:3.32||FY2020:2.76|
|Topic: Days Away, Restricted and Transfer Rate: Number of work-related injuries and illnesses resulting in a team member missing work, having restricted work activity or being transferred from their regular work assignment per 100 team members.||FY2018:2.94||FY2019:2.43||FY2020:2.07|
|Topic: Lost Time Incident Rate: Number of work-related injury and illnesses that result in one or more days away from work per 100 team members.||FY2018:0.76||FY2019:0.74||FY2020:0.66|
|ETHICS & COMPLIANCE1,2|
|Topic: Number of Facilities Audited||FY2018:31||FY2019:37||FY2020:40|
|Topic: Average Score||FY2018:96%||FY2019:N/A||FY2020:N/A|
|Topic:Health & Safety||FY2018:51%||FY2019:52%||FY2020:43%|
|Topic:Ethics Help Line Contacts Received||FY2018:5,379||FY2019:5,527||FY2020:4,762|
|Topic:Help Line Contacts Investigated3||FY2018:4,337||FY2019:3,718||FY2020:1,830|
|Topic:Unsubstantiated After Investigation||FY2018:77%||FY2019:75%||FY2020:82%|
|Topic:Calls Investigated and Resolved||FY2018:23%||FY2019:25%||FY2020:18%|
|Topic:Help Line Contacts Referred to Other teams for Resolution3||FY2018:1,042||FY2019:1,279||FY2020:2,932|
|Ethics Help Line Compliant Areas|
|Topic:Employment Practices (Employee Matters)||FY2018:53%||FY2019:43%||FY2020:57%|
|Topic:Harassment & Discrimination||FY2018:26%||FY2019:17%||FY2020:19%|
ESG Data Center Endnotes
- This data includes our U.S. operations. Keystone Foods is included in FY2020 data but is not included in FY2018 and FY2019. 2Our certifications include A2LA 17025 and ISO 9001-2015, as well as state-certified labs at some of our beef and pork plants.
- Metrics based on our U.S. operations only. Metrics do not include Keystone Foods. Percent acceptable as audited against NCC Welfare Guidelines for Broilers or NAMI Recommended Animal Handling Guidelines [September 2019 Rev. 2] for cattle and hogs.
- Our FY2018 compliance data includes Tyson Foods U.S.-based operations and The Pork Group only. Tyson Foods U.S.-based operations, The Pork Group, AdvancePierre Foods, Original Philly, Keystone Foods U.S.-based operations, American Proteins and Tecumseh Poultry are included in our FY2019 and FY2020 compliance data.
- Details regarding these spills are available in the GRI Index.
- Our FY2018 water footprint includes data from our Tyson Foods U.S.-based operations only. Data for Tyson Foods U.S.-based operations, AdvancePierre Foods, Original Philly, Keystone Foods U.S.-based operations, American Proteins and Tecumseh Poultry are included in FY2019 and FY2020.
Energy and Emissions
- Our FY2020 emissions include data from our Tyson Foods U.S-based operations, The Pork Group, hog buying stations, AdvancePierre Foods, Original Philly, Keystone Foods U.S.-based operations, American Proteins and Tecumseh Poultry. If AdvancePierre Foods, Original Philly, Keystone Foods U.S.-based operations, American Proteins and Tecumseh Poultry were excluded from our FY2020 emissions data, we would have reduced our Scope 1 + 2 emissions over 114,000 metric tons over our baseline year.
- FY2018 and FY2019 includes data from our U.S.-based operations except U.S.-based Cobb-Vantress, The Pork Group, hog buying stations, Keystone Foods, American Proteins, Inc., and Tecumseh Poultry. FY2020 data includes all U.S. based operations as well as U.S.-based Cobb-Vantress, The Pork Group, Keystone Foods, American Proteins, Inc., and Tecumseh Poultry. FY2020 data does not include hog buying stations. International data is not included in any waste metrics. The increase in waste generated can be attributed to improved data reporting with our waste vendors regarding the amount of waste generated and recycled in our operations, including food waste.
- FY2019 waste data has been restated from our previous sustainability report due to improved data collection and analytics.
- Beneficial reuse can include activities such as composting, land application and digestion.
- Includes all U.S. team members as well as U.S. Cobb-Vantress team members.
Health and Safety
- Keystone Foods is included in FY2020 data, but not FY2018 and FY2019. International international facilities are not included in the data. Additionally, we have restated our Lost Time Incident Rate and Days Away, Restricted and Transfer Rate for FY2018 and FY2019 due to the numbers being inverted in the table.
Ethics and Compliance
- Audit data includes all U.S. Tyson production facilities, including all legacy acquisition production facilities.
- Ethics data includes U.S. and non-U.S. locations
- In FY2020, a new system of classification went into effect, which separated violations of the Code of Conduct into Investigations matters, while routine issues that did not require investigation were treated as Referrals. Referrals include routine operational and human resources matters, and they are referred to the appropriate parties for handling.