Partnerships are critical to our sustainability strategy, allowing us to collaborate to build a better food future.
We engage in active partnerships with key stakeholders across our business, including team members, farmers, contract growers, NGOs, academic/research institutions and more, to fulfill our purpose of raising the world’s expectations for how much good food can do. Key partnerships in FY2019 include:
- Launching the Coalition for Global Protein™, an initiative inclusive of the entire protein sector to identify, incubate and implement new and creative solutions for sustainable protein to feed a growing global population.
- Partnering with Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) to develop and deploy initiatives that support our sustainability strategy and help meet increasing consumer demand for more sustainably grown food.
- Collaborating with IdentiGEN to use DNA Traceback® technology to trace meat used for Open Prairie® Natural1 Angus Beef and Natural Pork back to the individual animal of origin.
- Partnering with Auburn University to pilot a solar-powered poultry house that could reduce farmers’ dependence on grid electricity.
- Enrolling nearly 420,000 acres of farmland in a land stewardship program through pilot programs with Farmers Business Network and MyFarms.
- Providing $1 million to 10 Feeding America food banks in nine states to fund protein sourcing projects that have the potential to be scaled and replicated across the Feeding America network.
- Working with OneEgg to increase food access and economic stability in developing countries by assisting with the construction and support of egg farms.
- Maintaining close relationships with farmers, ranchers, our contract poultry farmers and growers to ensure optimal practices that support on-farm animal health and welfare.
- Encouraging team members to reach their full potential through programs like Upward Academy.
- Collaborating with the United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) to develop safety programs that create a better workplace environment.
By maintaining open dialogue and communication with our valued stakeholders, we’re able to keep our finger on the pulse of the issues and topics most important to each of our stakeholder groups.
1Minimally processed; no artificial ingredients. DNA Traceback is a trademark of IdentiGEN North America, Inc.